Acknowledgment of a child born out of wedlock

A child born out of wedlock may be acknowledged by the mother and by the father either separately or jointly.

Acknowledgement by the father, when done separately
When the father acknowledges the child separately from the mother a special procedure must be followed. In such case, the father must send a judicial letter to the mother stating that he intends to acknowledge the child.

If the mother does not oppose to such a judicial letter within 2 months then the letter will be sent to the Director of Public Registry who will register the child to be the offspring of the person stated in the judicial letter.

If the mother opposes the registration within the said two months then the father may initiate a case before the Court against the mother so that the Court ascertains whether he really is the father of the child or not.

This is provided in article 86 of the Civil Code.